Monday, January 25, 2010

My OOAK bag!

Vinyl decals aren't just for walls. They can be stuck on any smooth surface, including but not limited to glass, tiles, finished metals, plastic and wood. I'm going to start doing some tutorials every now and then* on some different ways that vinyl decals can be used.

So a few days ago I was shopping at Target and came across a really cute small messenger bag on clearance for $5. I love good deals! I decided to show a tutorial of a way that I quickly and easily personalized my bag and made it my own. I added a couple of small decals to it and now it is truly one of a kind. Here is how I did it.

Step 1- The first step when applying any vinyl decal is to clean the surface you are applying it to. I'm not sure what this purse is made of (it's some type of pleather), so I just used a lint free cloth dampened with some water.

Step 2- Decide on a layout for your vinyl decals. *TIP* When you get your vinyl decal the back will have grid lines. Just take a pair of scissors and cut a straight edge using the grid mark as a guide. This will make it easier to line up so that it is straight.



Step 3- Slowly peel the backing paper away from your decal. You'll want to make sure that it is sticking really good to the application tape.

Step 4- Stick the decal on the bag in the place that you'd like. I just eye balled it. Gently rub the decal to make sure it is stuck really well. I just used my fingers. On a hard surface you can use a squeegee (or a credit card, popsicle stick, etc.).


Step 5- Gently pull off the application tape leaving the decal on the surface. Again rub the decal to make sure that it is stuck to the bag.


Step 6- Admire your handy work. I used Carnation Pink colored vinyl decals (baby pink). I think they turned out really nice on my magenta bag!



I'm no way an expert in adhering decals to bags. In fact this is my first time. There is probably some time of spray you can put over them to help them last a little bit longer. Anybody know of one?

* I know DIY Tuesday (or something along those lines) sounds way cooler than DIY Every Now and Then.. but I have a problem with blogger commitments..

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Vinyl Decals